By Aily Foo, Senior Consultant, Temporary & Contract Recruitment, Links International Hong Kong
We are now half way through 2016. Have you achieved the career goals you set yourself at the beginning of the year?
There is still time! In order to achieve your goals, here are a few points you should follow:
- Love your job. Or, if you don’t, switch to a job you do enjoy. When you love your job, you are self-motivated and your productivity is increased. If you feel happy and positive during your work day, your target won’t be too far away.
- Share your thoughts with senior, or more experienced people in your industry whom you trust. This way, you can learn how to avoid making the same mistakes and learn how to achieve success. Given their knowledge and experience, they can provide more guidelines and show you the easy path to achieve your goals. Perhaps you can also speak with your recruiter, as they can provide you with more examples and indicate the correct direction for reaching your goals.
- Measure the progress of your goals in months. This helps maintain momentum and a sense of accomplishment, and will also show you if you are on the right track to achieving what you want.
- Set new goals. It doesn’t matter if your old goal was no longer achievable if circumstances changed outside of your control. Take a vacation and refresh your mind. Please have a look at my previous blog post. It’s important to place our focus on practicable goals, instead of unrealistic ones.
Your career is one of the most important aspects of your life. Therefore, if you plan your career goals better, it will be much easier to achieve what you want in the future. No idea what to look for? Here are some of the current hot jobs, which may give you some insight into where you should be looking:
- CDD, KYC, account documentation related roles are still hot in the market. Although job openings were slightly cut back compared with 2015, these roles are still important to most banks, due to talent shortages and constant changes in regulations. I foresee that banks might look for more senior candidates with solid experience to lead their teams in the coming future.
- Application developer/web designer. Given the ongoing revolution of the mobile device, application developers and web designers are becoming more and more in demand. These roles are definitely going to be popular over the next 10 years.
Last but not least, you are the only person involved in this goal setting process. You should believe in yourself and what you can achieve, making sure to set yourself goals that are within your reach, rather than setting yourself unrealistic goals. Commit to these goals and monitor your progress. Dreams can come true, so let’s make sure we are on the right track to reaching our goals!
If you are looking for any career advice, please do not hesitate to contact us and let us help you reach the next level in your career.