Terms of Submitting : By clicking "Submit", you agree you have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Applying Dependant Visa in Hong Kong?

Do you have a family member with a valid visa application in Hong Kong? Are you interested in living and studying in Hong Kong with your family?

Hong Kong Dependant Visa

The Hong Kong Dependant Visa is for immediate family members of expatriates and foreign nationals either holding a permanent residence or holding a Hong Kong visa for training, employment or study. The dependant visa is a relocation visa and is adjoined with the sponsors permitted length of stay in Hong Kong. The Dependant Visa in Hong Kong also qualifies for a  spouse visa.


Who can Apply for Hong Kong Dependant Visa?


  • If the principal visa holder is a Hong Kong permanent resident or resident with permitted unlimited stay, their spouse (for spouse visa),  unmarried children under 18 years of age (including legal adoptees) and principal holder’s parents aged 60 years and above are all eligible for application. 
  • If the principal visa holder is issued a visa for employment, investment, training or full-time study in Hong Kong, or alternatively is permitted for Hong Kong residency as an entrant under the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme, their spouse and unmarried children under 18 years of age (including legal adoptees) are eligible for application.

Documents Needed for Dependant Visa Application

Completed Hong Kong Dependant Visa Application Form. For children under 16 years of age, a legal guardian’s signature is required. 

Individual dependants are not required to submit separate forms. Spouse visa applications and dependant visa applications will have a built-in section in the application form for the sponsor. The application must be sent together. 

Passport- If currently in Hong Kong, a photocopy of the passport page with the latest arrival stamp/Hong Kong dependant visa extension stamp. If you are a Chinese Mainland resident, you may submit a photocopy of your resident identity card.

Valid proof of your relationship with the sponsor, e.g. marriage certificates, birth certificates, family photographs, letters, census record book

A copy of your Hong Kong identity card (if any). 

For Macau residents only, a copy of your Macau identity card.

For Taiwan residents only, a copy of your household registration in Taiwan and Taiwan identity card.

A copy of the sponsor’s Hong Kong identity card (if any).

Sponsor’s Passport- If currently in Hong Kong, a photocopy of the passport page with the latest arrival stamp/ extension of stay in Hong Kong. If you are a Chinese Mainland resident, you may submit a photocopy of your People’s Republic of China resident identity card.

Copy of the sponsor’s financial records, e.g. bank statements, savings accounts passbooks, tax receipts and salary slips.

Copy of the sponsor's accommodation, e.g. rental receipts.

If salary slips or rental receipts during application time are unavailable, please provide the sponsor’s employment contract with stated salary, benefits etc. or any documents to prove the sponsor's ability to support dependants.

All documents submitted must be in English or Chinese or translated into such. 


Benefits of Hong Kong Dependant Visa

There are many benefits of obtaining a Hong Kong dependant visa or a Hong Kong spouse visa. Hong Kong valid Visas, Dependant Extension Visas and spouse visas enable you and your immediate family to stay and reside together in Hong Kong if you fit the eligibility criteria.

  • If you hold a Hong Kong Dependant Visa or spouse visa and you have resided in Hong Kong for a continuous seven years, you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence.
  • For a dependant visa extension in Hong Kong, You can apply for renewal by filing the renewal application at least four weeks before your stay expires.
  • Your Hong Kong dependant visa extension is eligible as long as you meet the eligibility requirements and your sponsor remains a bona fide Hong Kong resident.
  • Your rights to employment and education after your Hong Kong dependant visa extension is approved will remain unchanged.
  • When applying for a Hong Kong dependant visa or spouse visa, all dependants are eligible to study in Hong Kong without prior consent from the Director of Immigration. Hong Kong Dependant Visa holders and spouse visa holders are not required to apply for separate student visas beforehand.

Hong Kong Visa Application Procedure and Timeline


  1. Valid documents must be submitted to the Hong Kong Immigration Department in order to qualify for the Hong Kong dependant visa.
  2. If you are currently residing overseas, please submit the Hong Kong dependant visa documents to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate office.
  3. After the documentation is well received, the processing of your Hong Kong Dependant Visa Application will require around six weeks until completion.
  4. If your application is successful, the Immigration Department will issue a Visa/Entry Permit label, which your sponsor can collect the dependant visa on your behalf.

Can Dependant Visa Holders Work in Hong Kong?

Dependant visas in Hong Kong allows the applicant to take up employment in Hong Kong only when sponsors are:

  • Hong Kong permanent residents
  • Not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. residents with the right to land or on unconditional stay)
  • Persons who have been admitted for employment, investment or training 
  • Entrants under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme or the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme

While dependants of sponsors who are admitted into a full-time study (eg. undergraduate or post-graduate programs in local degree-awarding institutions) are not eligible for employment in Hong Kong

More Questions about Hong Kong Dependant Visa?

Reach out to us at Links International and our expert team of professionals can give you a free consultation today!