Hong Kong’s Chief Executive, John Lee Ka-chiu delivered the annual 2022 policy address on Wednesday, 19 October 2022 – making it his first Policy Address as Chief Executive.
In the 2 hour and 45 minutes speech, a great number of key announcements were involved including updates in current employment visa measures. In positive news for Hong Kong employers looking to hire talent, the main updates to watch out for are:
- Top Talent Pass Scheme: Chief Executive John Lee announces a brand-new two-year visa named the “Top Talent Pass Scheme”. The programme is targeted at both high-earners (at least HK$2.5 million a year) and graduates from the world’s top universities carrying at least 3 years of work experience. The scheme gives those eligible a chance to enter Hong Kong without the obligation of securing a job offer upon entry.
- Longer Stays for Employment Visa Holders: Currently, persons admitted as professionals under the General Employment Policy will be granted an initial stay of 2 years on employment condition or in accordance with the duration of the employment contract (whichever is shorter). The Chief Executive today announced that employment visas will be extended to a maximum period of 3 years, going forward.
- Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates Visa (IANG Visa) Changes: Non-local graduates from Hong Kong universities will now be given the chance to remain in the city for two years instead of one whilst looking to secure a job. Furthermore, the IANG visa will be extended to cover graduates from Hong Kong university campuses in the Greater Bay Area.
- Suspension of Annual Quota Under the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
- Refunds of Extra Stamp Duty: Extra stamp duty will be refunded to talents who have stayed in Hong Kong for no less than 7 years to become permanent residents while still holding property.
- Talent in Tech: The Technology Talent Admission Scheme (TechTAS) will be granted the lifting requirement for tech firms to employ additional local employees while bringing in international talent.
We frequently see changes in labour laws and keeping up with them surely is a challenge! Using an HR service provider like Links International can help keep you always updated whilst helping you avoid any legal issues. At the same time, you can save time and cost, both.
Links International is an industry leader in innovative HR outsourcing with services such as payroll outsourcing, visa application, PEO/EOR Secondment, outplacement, recruitment and more! Contact us for more information on how we can help leverage your HR function.